Recent Posts

5 Historical Places to visit in Palma de Mallorca

5 Historical Places to visit in Palma de Mallorca

Spanish Village of Palma de Mallorca The “Pueblo Español” is an open -air museum located in the Son Espanyolet neighborhood of the city of Palma de Mallorca ( Spain ). Its construction began in 1965 and was inaugurated on March 9 , 1967 .  It was conceived as a town in which it was intended to gather the main characteristics of the […]

Palma Airport

Palma Airport

The Palma de Mallorca airport, with more than 26 million passengers in 2016, ranks third in passenger volume within the Aena network, behind Madrid-Barajas Adolfo Suárez and Barcelona-El Prat car hire . Four other Spanish airports had a traffic of more than 10 million passengers: […]

Palma Port

Palma Port

It is the largest of the five managed by the Port Authority of the Balearic Islands and is located in the middle of the city, just in front of the labyrinthine old town. Joined from one point to the other by the promenade, which was literally stolen from the sea in the sixties, it is divided into four distinct areas: the commercial docks, Poniente docks, the sports docks and the West dike. It has some services that, while having faced space limitations, have made possible the consolidation of the port as one of the most important in the Mediterranean in relation to cruise ship traffic.

The combination of freight, sports navigation (the bay of Palma is the setting for some of the most important regattas in the Mediterranean: the Copa del Rey and the SAR Princess Sofia Trophy), arrival and departure of passengers, and fishing, requires to optimize the use of the facilities and, above all, the space. With the perfect combination of tradition and technological advances, this port is the physical demonstration that the Mediterranean has its own philosophy, slow and quiet; but, that it has a character that does not forget modernity and that makes it a place that, both visitors and inhabitants, appreciate a lot.

History

In the city of Palma there was maritime traffic even before the Muslim domination (902-1229) in two parts of the current port, the harbor of Portopí and in the Cala, now terrified, that stretched from the Paseo del Borne to where it rises the Palace of Justice and the Grand Hotel. Of the current Old Dock there are already references in orders of the king Jaume I of the year 1273.

These primitive port installations remain practically the same until the beginning of the 19th century. Since then, the works that uninterruptedly configure the modern port of Palma have followed one another.

Pending its approval, is currently the draft of the Infrastructure Master Plan that provides for an important expansion outside the Western Dike, gaining ground to the sea, and that will provide new and modern facilities to the port of Palma. A great remodeling to face the future with guarantees to continue being one of the main ports of reference in the Mediterranean.

Palma MARINA

Marina Port de Mallorca has magnificent facilities that make it one of the most attractive marinas in the Balearic Islands.

  • Water mirror: 73,530 m2
  • Mooring area: 27,800 m2
  • 4 pontoons and an exterior pier
  • Moorings for boats from 12 to 50 m. of length
  • Vigilance 24 h.
  • Modern and fully equipped facilities.

Easy access, parking and surveillance 24 hours a day. and turn Marina Port de Mallorca into a calm and safe port but with a lot of life. There is a whole world of entertainment and leisure in front of our marina.

Comfort is one of the main characteristics of this port, regarding the distribution of docks and moorings , access to port services or the connection with the city.

SERVICES IN MOORING AND SEAMANSHIP

Marina Port de Mallorca is a benchmark for the sailor for its unbeatable rental services moorings for yachts and sailboats .

As a marina , besides being one of the most modern marinas in Palma de Mallorca, it offers services oriented to enjoy the facilities in its mooring with security and 24 hour security, seamanship , courtesy car and selective collection.

Other services offered are: reservations, car rental, catering, boat cleaning and concierge service, among many others.

GENERAL SERVICES

  • 200 moorings in the heart of Palma from 12 to 50 m. of length
  • Mooring management : rent
  • 24 hour security
  • Reception
  • Guarded parking and 24 hour security
  • Commercial area
  • Access control
  • Waiting dock
  • Marine Service
  • Cleaning and maintenance of boats
  • Yacht maintenance
  • Zodiac service (assistance in maneuvers)
  • Diver service
  • Bilge and fire service
  • Varadero
  • Selective garbage collection
  • Toilets / showers
  • Sale of ice
  • Weather information
  • Telephone, fax and email
  • Internet WIFI
  • Listen VHF 9/16, first aid kit and mail
  • Drinking water and electricity (220/380) up to 125amp for large lengths
  • Aspiration of sewage / bilges on boats

CAPTAIN AND RECEPTION SERVICES

  • Reservation of moorings
  • Weather information
  • Tourist information
  • Reservations in restaurants, hotels, hairdressers and beauty studios, golf courses and discos
  • Catering service on board
  • Taxi service
  • Rent a car
  • Laundry / dry cleaning

MARINERY SERVICES

  • Assistance in maneuvers
  • Zodiac service and diver
  • Cleaning and maintenance of boats
  • Bilge and firefighting service
  • Ice supply
  • Courtesy car

Our News

5 Historical Places to visit in Palma de Mallorca

5 Historical Places to visit in Palma de Mallorca

Spanish Village of Palma de Mallorca

The “Pueblo Español” is an open -air museum located in the Son Espanyolet neighborhood of the city of Palma de Mallorca ( Spain ).

Its construction began in 1965 and was inaugurated on March 9 , 1967 .  It was conceived as a town in which it was intended to gather the main characteristics of the peoples of Spain . The project was carried out by the architect Fernando Chueca Goitia .

The museum occupies a total area of ​​6,365 m² and it reproduces at scale various buildings, squares and streets representative of various Spanish cities. Located less than 1 km from the seafront, with easy access for cars with free parking, as well as for public transport.

At present, the Spanish Village has the function of an open-air architectural museum as well as a sample of popular crafts. It is also used for different events such as congresses, meetings, conventions or exhibitions.The Palace of Congresses has 13 different spaces, both indoor and outdoor, with capacities that house from rooms for a maximum of 30 people to the Roman Forum and the amphitheater that welcome more than 1,000 people.

 

More information

Pueblo Español, 55 | 07014 | Palma de Mallorca

[+34] 971 73 70 70 | eventos@nuevopuebloespanol.com

Schedule / Öffnungszeiten / Schedule

From November to March: 09:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. | Nov.-März: 9.00h – 17.00h | November – March: 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM

From April to October: 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. | April-Okt .: 10.00h – 18.00h | April – October: 10:00 to 18:00 hours

Cathedral of Santa María de Palma

The Cathedral-Basilica of Santa Maria de Palma de Mallorca also called Mallorca Cathedral is the main religious building on the island of Mallorca . In Mallorcan , it is known as La Seu (Seu or Seo is the name given to cathedrals in the Crown of Aragon ). It consists of a Levantine Gothic style temple built on the shore of the bay of Palma .  It overlooks the sea on the Roman and Renaissance walls that protected the city, being the only Gothic cathedral that meets this peculiarity. It also consists of the headquarters of the diocese of Mallorca, its owner is the Assumption of Mary .

In 1931 it was declared a Historic-artistic Monument . In addition, it is the cathedral with the largest rosette in the Gothic world ,  largest original rosette of all European Gothic cathedrals (13 meters in diameter),  since there are cathedrals with larger rose windows (15m) but belong to the Neo-Gothic, And also one of the ones with the tallest nave among the European Gothic cathedrals. The building is huge, its vault reaches a height of 44 m just surpassed by the Cathedral of Beauvais 48 m, the highest gothic cathedral in the world and slightly smaller than the height of the Milan Cathedral 45 m, instead it surpasses the Cathedral of Cologne 43 m. The building covers 6,655 m². The interior volume is 160,000 m³.

Its construction began in 1229 , after the conquest of the island by the Crown of Aragon . King Jaime I , decided to demolish the old great mosque of Medina Mayurca to build a large temple dedicated to Santa Maria , because when a strong storm broke during the sea crossing to Mallorca to conquer it, he promised to build a cathedral in veneration if this it saved them from death.

In 1346 , it was King Jaime III , although the works and finishes continued many years later, since it was not completed until 1601, and, strictly speaking, it was followed (and continued) to be reformed and restored every so often.

It is a Levantine Gothic style construction , with clear northern European influences, measuring 121 meters long and 55 meters wide. The name of its architects is not known, although there is evidence of numerous artists who worked in it (sculptors and painters). The Levantine Gothic is characterized by not following the French classical models, but by using a hall – German, strictly basilica style ( hallenkirche ) with three ships without girola or cruise. It has three parallel chapels at the head and numerous side chapels between the buttresses.

Bellver Castle

The castle of Bellver is a fortification of Gothic style . It is located about three kilometers from the city of Palma de Mallorca , on the island of Mallorca , Spain . It was built at the beginning of the 14th century by order of King Jaime II of Mallorca . It is located on a hill 112 meters above sea level, in an area surrounded by forest, from where you can see the city, the port, the Tramuntana mountains and the Pla de Mallorca ; in fact, its name comes from the ancient Catalan bell veer, which means “beautiful sight”. One of its peculiarities is that it is one of the few castles of all Europe of circular plan, being the oldest of these. Currently belongs to the City of Palma, and it is the Museum of History of the city of Palma , so it is open to the public.

History

The main part of the fortification was built by the architect Pere Salvà , who also worked in the Almudaina palace , with other master builders between 1300 and 1311 for Jaime II . For its construction, much of the stone was extracted from a cave-quarry of the same mountain, under the fortification, which has caused cracks in the building. When harder stone was needed, it was brought from Portals Vells (Calviá) and Santañy.

The castle initially played the residential functions for which it was built, in the time of King James II, Sancho and Jaime III of Mallorca . It was also inhabited by King Juan I of Aragón , fleeing the plague that was attacking the continent ( 1394 ). In the seventeenth century it was the sporadic residence of some viceroys. As a fortification he also suffered different sieges. The first in the year 1343, during the campaign of reincorporation of the Kingdom of Mallorca to the Crown of Aragon, by Peter the Ceremonious ; the next, in the year 1391 , during the revolt against the Call; and the last, the year 1521 , in which he suffered the only assault on their history, during the rebellion of the Germanias .

In the 19th century , during the War of Spanish Independence , of French prisoners of the battle of Bailén , and, later, of political prisoners, the first and the most famous of which was the minister Gaspar Melchor de Jovellanos (1802-1808 ), who made the first description of the castle and commissioned the first plans and drawings, as well as a botanical and geological description of the surrounding pine forest, founding with them the conservationist movement of heritage.

Already in the twentieth century, with the advent of the Second Republic , the castle and its surroundings were ceded to the City of Palma on the condition that it was intended for a museum of ancient art, as suggested from the same town hall. During the Civil War he recovered his use of prison, locking up in the castle to 800 republican prisoners, who were employed as forced labor in the construction of the current access road to the castle.

Arab Baths

It is one of the few monuments from the Arab period remaining in Palma. The building has a dome with small windows allowing the light in. It is supported on 8 columns that form horseshoe arches.

From Monday to Sunday From 9:00 AM to 7:00 PM

 Prices  General:€2 Children:Admission free

They are in the stately garden of Can pit the eel, only the central room is reserved for hot baths and a room attached to the bathrooms that has the plant in the form of rectangle and semicircular vault with very thick walls with respect to when They were made in the Muslim era.

Before the 19th century , the garden and the baths were part of Can Serra.

You can enter through a portal with a horseshoe arch. The room is cubic with an aisle on one side, with a semicircular arch roof made of 12 columns and horseshoe arches above a dome, made of bricks with skylights. Many of the capitals may suggest that remains of other buildings were used to build it.

There are remains of chimneys and pipes of hot water and steam. A narrow corridor led to a room that was used as a dressing room to be able to go to the warm room, before the hot room or hammam .

Location

C/ de Can Serra, 7
07001  Palma, Majorca  (Balearic Islands)
www.palmademallorca.es
Tel.:+34 637046534
Tel.:+34 971721549

Royal Palace of La Almudaina

 History

This imposing fortress, known at the time of the conquest with the name of “Zuda”, was rebuilt in 1309 by King Jaime II , according to the model of the Royal Palace of Perpignan . In La Almudaina, the monarchs of the Kingdom of Mallorca, the Aragonese monarchs and those of Spain succeeded. Felipe II destined the “Tinell” to Real Audiencia and installed in the rest of the building the General Captaincy of the Islands.

The current structure of La Almudaina corresponds to the one built in the 14th century with its different spaces; the palaces of the King and of the Queen, the chapel of Santa Ana or the baths, are the most outstanding. Its decoration presents two environments, on the ground floor the medieval style is recreated with works from the 15th to the 20th century. The upper floor, used for the celebration of official acts of the Royal Family , is decorated with objects and furniture from other Royal Sites of the seventeenth , eighteenth and nineteenth centuries .

The current castle, of Roman origin, is a modification of the Muslim fortress begun in 1281 , it was extended until 1343 , during the reigns of Jaime II , son of Jaime I the Conqueror , Sancho I and Jaime III . La Almudaina was the seat of the prosperous Mallorcan kingdom of the fourteenth century , during the reigns of the aforementioned monarch and his successors Sancho I and Jaime III , until passing to the Crown of Aragon with Pedro IV in 1349 .

During the first half of the 16th century the upper floor was built by order of King Carlos I of Spain . In the same way that in Madrid the Palacio de Oriente , the Royal Palace of La Almudaina, is the official summer residence of the King, although it does live effectively with the rest of the Spanish Royal Family in the Marivent Palace , as in Madrid. the Palace of Zarzuela .
The Almudaina is the Royal Palace or Alcázar Real of the city of Palma de Mallorca, in Spain, and one of the residences of the Spanish Royal Family, managed by the public body Patrimonio Nacional. Wikipedia

Address : Carrer del Palau Reial, s / n, 07001 Palma, Illes Balears
Schedule :

Tuesday – Sunday10: 00-18: 00
MondayClosed